Schedule Your Consultation Today!Book Now
Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing are non-surgical procedures directed at removing the cause of gingival inflammation. This is accomplished by cleaning the dental surfaces below the gums. These procedures are most effective in patients who are suffering from inflammatory gum diseases such as gingivitis and mild to severe chronic periodontitis.
Reasons for Scaling and Root Planing
- Prevent and Remove Disease: The bacteria that cause periodontal disease have the potential to travel through the body. Scaling and root planing removes this bacteria and its potential to spread.
- Restore tissue health: bacterial growth and chemicals produced by the bacteria irritate the gums and result in pain and inflammation. By removing these irritants, inflammation and pain are removed and healing can begin.
- Protect the teeth: A product of bacterial growth is calculus (tartar) and plaque. When plaque accumulates it covers the teeth above and below the gums, hardens, and becomes calculus. Plaque and calculus do not allow for proper cleaning. Improper cleaning results in dental cavities, decay, and gum disease. Scaling and root planing removes this plaque and calculus (tartar).
Scaling and Root Planing Treatments
- Scaling: The hygienist takes an ultrasonic instrument that is specifically designed to remove plaque and calculus buildup on crown and root surfaces. This instrument is placed against the tooth and through its vibrations removes the plaque and calculus.
- Root Planing: Using specialized hand and ultrasonic instruments, your hygienist will plane (scrape) the root surfaces of your teeth. This ensures that all of the calculus and plaque are removed. This procedure allows your gums to heal.
Need to have your teeth or gums evaluated by a dentist? Call Legacy Dental Group or schedule an appointment online.